Dr. Mercola has an excellent article on how just sitting ages us prematurely and makes us unwell. Sitting at a desk for 8 hours can easily undo the benefit of 30 minutes of exercise. Apparently the act of getting to our feet is the most beneficial part of all. Therefore, I recommend that if you want to have good health to try to stand up every 20 minutes if possible. Here is a summary.
- Sitting for extended periods of time is an independent risk factor for poor health and premature death. Even if you are very fit, if you uninterruptedly sit for a great percentage of the time, you’re still at an increased risk of dying prematurely
- Research by the NASA scientist responsible for monitoring the astronauts, shows your body declines rapidly when sitting for long periods
- Simply standing up over 30 times a day is a powerful antidote to long periods of sitting and is more effective than walking
- There are virtually unlimited opportunities for movement throughout the day, from doing housework or gardening, to cooking and even just standing up every 10 minutes
- It’s not how many hours of sitting that’s bad for you; it’s how often you interrupt that sitting that is GOOD for you
The complete article is here:
The video is here: